Note: As of August 2022, the TauDEM plugins repository is not working.
TauDEM (Terrain Analysis Using Digital Elevation Models) is a suite of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) tools for the extraction and analysis of hydrologic information from topography as represented by a DEM. TauDEM is developed by Dr. David Tarboton at Utah Sate University Hydrology Research Group. TauDEM can serve as an analytical Plugin for QGIS, a free and open source GIS tool. The following is a step by step instruction on how to install TauDEM Plugin on QGIS. For instruction of installing Whitebox Tools Plugin on QGIS, refer to this post.
- Download TauDEM newest version at its official website (Version 5.3.7 as of January, 5 2021, TauDEM 5.3.7 Complete Windows installer). Run the downloaded executable file TauDEM537_setup.exe:
- Click yes to the licensing agreements associated with the dependencies
- When prompted to Choose Setup Type for GDAL, choose “Typical”
- The following four (4) folders a), b), c), and d) will be created automatically by installation:
- a) C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\
- b) C:\GDAL
- c) C:\Program Files\GDAL
- d) C:\Program Files\TauDEM\TauDEM5Exe
- In order for TauDEM executable file to find the required dll files, you will need to copy the following two files from C:\Program Files\GDAL to C:\Program Files\TauDEM\TauDEM5Exe/ (Figure 1);
- Open QGIS, select Manage and Install Plugins… from QGIS menu of Plugins;
- Click Settings of Manage and Install Plugins… and then click Add to add an external Plugin repository. For this installation, in the Repository Details window, type in bruy for Name and https://plugins.bruy.me/plugins/plugins.xml for URL. Click OK to close Repository Details window (Figure 2);
- Click All of Manage and Install Plugins… and search TauDEM. Install TauDEM for Processing Plugin (Figure 3);
- Open Options window under QGIS menu Setting and select Processing. Under Providers, expand TauDEM, check on Activate, for MPICH2/OpenMPI bin directory, type in C:/Program Files/Microsoft MPI/Bin and for TauDEM directory, type in C:/Program Files/TauDEM/TauDEM5Exe (Figure 4);
- Last, verify you have TauDEM plugin installed correctly: click Toolbox under QGIS menu Processing to open Processing Toolbox window, you will see that TauDEM shows up at the end of the tool list (Figure 5).